OUR CITY - VILA NOVA DE GAIA
Situated in the south bank of Douro River, Vila Nova de Gaia occupies an area of 165km² and has about 350.000 inhabitants in the 24 parishes of the city.
Vila Nova de Gaia is a modern and dynamic city directed to industry, commerce and services with special attention being given to leisure and business tourism, congresses and incentives.
It is an accessible city, close to the Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport, with an excellent road network and served by a very efficient public transportation system, namely by the metro.
Well-known for lodging the famous Porto Wine Cellars, this is a city with a lot to offer:
- Emblematical monuments – Serra do Pilar Monastery (World Heritage), Grijó, Pedroso and Corpus Christi Monasteries;
- Museums – Teixeira Lopes House/Museum/ Diogo de Macedo Galleries, Condes de Resende Manor-house and Van-Zeller House-Museum;
- Typical Villages – Arnelas, Aguda and Granja.
Around 18km of beach (besides being the municipality, at national level, with the highest number of blue flags, the beaches have a singular natural beauty with recognized therapeutic characteristics).
- Parks and Riversides (Biological Park, Lavandeira’s Park, Dunas’ Park, Gaia Riversides, Aguda’s Littoral Station, S. Inácio’s Park & Zoo and São Paio’s Bay);
- Modern leisure area – Gaia’s Quay – with a privileged view over the Douro river;
- Typical Restaurants that allow unique experiences and tastes;
- Traditional business and Commercial Areas (Soares dos Reis Street, República Avenue, El Corte Inglês, Gaiashopping, Arrábida Shopping);
- Accommodation is varied and high in quality offering the possibility of staying in hotels of different categories, some rural tourism units, camping sites and Pousadas (hostels/inns).
The regional gastronomy expresses different tastes: Broa de Avintes (Corn Bread), Sável no Espeto (Grilled Fish) or Velhote (traditional cake).
Gaia preserves its traditions by the organization of several celebrations and pilgrimages (São João, São Pedro and São Gonçalo), international festivals (that keep folklore alive) and in the recreation of traditional activities as the Desfolhada (Corn Festival)
Throughout the year, Gaia presents a diversified agenda of events and entertainment. Theater and Music deserve a special emphasis not only in the productions taken to the scene by the local theatre companies but also in the musical events. Indeed, music is a constant in the Live Culture programs, Organ Concerts, International Music Festivals, Easter Concerts, Choirs Meetings, and the Douro Blues Festivals, the “Jazz n’ Gaia” or the “Rock on Fridays”.
The golf lovers have a quality offer in Gaia. For those who prefer to walk or do some jogging, the pathway from the seaside to the D. Luís I Bridge is a good suggestion. Other activities such as rowing or tennis can be practiced in Gaia in unforgettable settings.There are also several pavilions, especially the Porto FC Training Center, as well as stadiums and swimming pools that allow the practice of several sports.
Av. Ramos Pinto
Cais de Gaia, Loja 510
4400 – 233 Vila Nova de Gaia
Av. Diogo Leite
4400 – 101 Vila Nova de Gaia
Telefone: 00351 22 375 1902
Portal do Cidadão: http://www.portaldocidadao.pt